SmartMeters are really StupidMeters. Why? Because they overcharge you, broadcast your personal info and detailed energy use habits, emit electromagnetic radiation that can cause cancer, damage your DNA, and harm wildlife, catch fire, and disable your shock prevention devices. Need any more reasons? Go to our Why Stop Smart Meters page.
Now, what can YOU do to stop them? So glad you asked! (For info on the opposition outside of California click here.)
1. Call Austin- PG&Eʼs smart meter representative- at 707-577-7097, and tell him that you don’t want a smart meter installed. If you already have one, demand that it be removed. If necessary obtain a doctor’s note and also send this to the CPUC. They have been telling people that they have no choice, but don’t let them bully you into believing this. Demand that she put you on the “defer” list of people who will not get smart meters on the first time around. Alternately, call PG&E at 1-866-743-0263 toll free.
2. Download a “DO NOT INSTALL SMART METER HERE!” sign and post it on both your electric and your gas meter – otherwise youʼll get your danger meters soon! Find other useful resources at The Utility Reform Network (TURN)
3. Write the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), 505 Van Ness Ave. San Francisco, CA 94102, or call them at 866-849-8390. Tell them that you oppose the installation of smart meters on your home or business because of health concerns, and insist that they enforce the “opt-out” option for individuals, cities, and counties. If you have a smart meter and have been suffering health impacts, TELL THE CPUC!
4. Warn your neighbors that smart meters are coming and pass out leaflets and “Do Not Install”signs. If Wellington Energy comes around to install, ask them to leave and if they don’t comply call the police and report a trespasser. You have a right to a radiation free home!
5. Start a blockade protest at your local Wellington yard. In Santa Cruz County, our protests were successful at stopping countywide installation for almost a week, before they abandoned their yard and moved to a secret location. PG&E doesn’t want the publicity that arrests would cause so you shouldn’t have to worry about going to jail! Anyway, what’s worse- an hour in a cell or a lifetime of forced radiation in your home?
6. Demand that your city/ county pass an ordinance banning ‘smart’ meters Nearly 30 local governments throughout California have demanded a halt to smart meter installation, and more are considering taking action. Those in red below have gone further and passed local ordinances banning the devices entirely. Local governments that have demanded a halt to the mandatory wireless ‘smart’ meter program include the City and County of San Francisco, Santa Cruz County, Mendocino County, Humboldt County and Marin County, the cities of Arcata, Mill Valley, Sebastopol, Berkeley, San Rafael, Cotati, Fairfax, Santa Cruz, Piedmont, Scotts Valley, Capitola, Watsonville, Sausalito, San Anselmo, Belvedere, Monte Sereno, Novato, Piedmont, Morro Bay, Richmond, Ross, Bolinas, Camp Meeker, and Rio Dell. Please let us know if your local govt has taken action and is not yet on this list.
7. Contact your elected officials and demand protection from wireless radiation and excessive greenhouse gas emissions! Contact info can be found by clicking here.
8. Volunteer with Stop Smart Meters! Contact us at info[at]smartmeters[dot]org if you want to volunteer or get more involved. This is a grassroots effort, and we could use all the help we can get to carry on fighting for your health and safety. Stop the onslaught- get involved today!
9. Donate to our ongoing campaign Donations are gratefully accepted and will contribute to our work to put a halt to the ‘smart’ meter program. Please make checks out to Joshua Hart and send to: P.O. Box 66165 Scotts Valley, CA 95067
10. Inform your local government about the rights it has over the utility- the following was just sent to us by former 7 time Mayor of Fairfax Frank Egger: